Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Grant Selection Process?
- Grant Committee reviews all qualifying applications.
- Site visit or phone interview may take place during review process.
- Grant Summary presentation with recommendations is made to the Board of Directors.
- Board of Directors approve all grants.
How will the Grants Committee determine grant recipients?
- Projects must primarily benefit the people of Winkler and surrounding community.
- Organizations seeking funds must demonstrate a strong and committed board, fiscal responsibility and management qualifications.
- Grants are awarded for definite purposes and for projects covering a specific period of time.
- The Foundation encourages the participation of others in funding projects and, on occasion, provides matching funds or challenge grants to stimulate increased response from other sources.
- Projects are weighed based on Evidence of Need in the Community and Range of Impact.
- Preference is given to projects which:
- support capital projects;
- encourage more efficient use of community resources;
- address the underlining causes of problems in our society rather than dealing only with symptoms;
- are developed in consultation with other agencies and planning groups and those which promote coordination, cooperation and sharing among organizations and the elimination of duplicate services;
- promote volunteer participation;
- demonstrate evidence of community support and organization initiative
How much can we apply for?
Some of the lowest grants we’ve ever provided have been a few hundred dollars and the highest grant was $50,000 over a 5 year commitment. In recent years we have provided around 20 grants a year. On average about $2,000 to $5,000 per grant.
What kind of things have you funded?
We support projects and programs where a moderate grant will have a significant impact. We typically do not fund 100% per cent of a project. Consider reviewing the list of Grant Recipients on this website in advance, to get a better understanding of what has typically been funded in the past.
Is there something you don’t fund?
We do not provide funds for ongoing operating costs, to support annual fundraising campaigns, cover deficits or retire a debt, to establish or create endowment funds, nor would we fund requests for sectarian, religious or political purposes.
We can not fund individuals.
When will we learn if our application has been approved to receive a grant?
The Executive Director will communicates the decision to the applicant and specifies any conditions applying to the awarding of the grant by end of June.
When can our organization expect to receive grant?
- The grant is announced in June.
- Grant cheques will be distributed by the end of June.
Updated January 2022.