The Gordon Wiebe Education Fund
The late Gordon Wiebe was committed to community. Gordon grew up in Winkler, and in 1954, he returned to his home town as a graduate of the University of Manitoba’s Faculty of Pharmacy. For more than 30 years, he operated Wiebe’s Drug Store at the corner of Main Street and Mountain Avenue. Gordon believed in the importance of serving others and in doing this well. In 2004, Gordon was recognized by the Manitoba Pharmaceutical Association for 50 years of dedication to pharmacy. Throughout his life time, Gordon was also actively involved with the Kinsman Club of Winkler, The Chamber of Commerce, The Masonic Lodge, the Lions Club, the Trinity Lutheran Church and the Crocus Trails Retirement Village.
In planning for his estate, Gordon prioritized giving back to the community in which he had lived and worked. In 2015, his legacy took shape as a major gift of $2.2 million to establish the Gordon Wiebe Education Fund at the Winkler Community Foundation. This endowment fund will enable the Foundation to grant scholarships through three streams to a minimum of 20 new recipients per year – in perpetuity! We are thankful for Gordon’s gift and excited to see his legacy of generosity grow with the successes of each scholarship recipient.
Make it a Reality
- The “Make it a Reality” scholarship is valued at $20,000 and will offer its recipient a game-changing opportunity to launch their career.
- The award covers the cost of tuition up to $5,000 per year over four years and is disbursed directly to student’s post-secondary institution.
- The winner of this award will demonstrate community involvement, leadership skills and commitment to scholarship.
Ongoing Education Support
- The “Ongoing Education Support Scholarship” is available annually in the amount of $2,000 and is renewable for up to three years.
- The selected recipients will either be enrolled in their first undergraduate program or will be returning to pursue their education after a break of one or more years following high school graduation.
- We support students originally from Winkler and the surrounding community to attain their goals by reducing the costs of their education.
Garden Valley School Division Awards (GVSD)
- The Gordon Wiebe Education Fund will increase the number of GVSD Awards at Garden Valley Collegiate and Northlands Parkway Collegiate by eight recipients per school!
- The awards are valued at $2,000 each and are available by applying directly to your school.
- Deadline is in late Spring.
Click below for links to application materials:
Make it a Reality Scholarship Application
Ongoing Education Support Scholarship Application
Garden Valley School Division Awards
- Speak to your Guidance Counselor to apply for these and other awards
- You have grown-up in Winkler or the surrounding community
- You are studying towards your first degree, diploma or certificate
- You are applying to begin or are planning to continue your post-secondary studies in the coming year
- You will be studying at an accredited post-secondary institution as identified by the Canada Revenue Agency
- You are 30 years or under
- Our Scholarship Committee is looking to meet applicants who have demonstrated commitment to their community, achievement in education and/or a strong capacity for leadership.
- We recognize that every individual has unique strengths; we want to hear about yours.
- Tell us how earning this scholarship would change your life for the better.
- Review application details
- Gather and complete all required application materials
- Submit your application either in-person or online
- Deadline is February 28th
- Include supporting materials
- Anticipate an email confirming that we have received your application
- Await our response as specified on your application
- Final decisions to be made beginning April 30 and ending June 30
Confirmation of Registration and Fees (Download PDF-Fillable Form)
Any questions, please contact us!
- Myra Peters, Executive Director
- Karina Cardona, Project Manager